Re: Apt how, why, where

Hi,
>>"E" == E L Meijer \(Eric\) <E.L.> writes:

 E> Being lazy myself, I have a feature request on behalf of all the (lazy)
 E> loadlin users.  Would it be possible to have the newly created
 E> kernel-image package offer the option of copying the kernel to the
 E> place loadlin expects it in your setup?  I would figure that
 E> kernel-package_...deb could ask if there is a standard
 E> `loadlin-kernel-directory', and store that in its configuration files.
 E> Of course it should rename old kernels using some intelligent renaming
 E> scheme (vmlinuz.1, vmlinuz.2, ...).

	Is it really that bad doing a
 # cp /vmlinuz /place/to/keep/images
 ? The reason I have not done so is that some people keep the images
 on dos partitions (which may or may not be mounted, and others keep
 it on a floppy.

	There is no real standard place where loadlin users keep the
 images; and any hardwired solution is unlikely to satisfy more than a
 fraction of the people (who could already use /boot if they so
 desired, anyway).

	An interactive solution, as you suggest, is adding a bit of
 complexity to a script that already is quite critical, and
 complex. Also, I am under some pressure to winnow interactivity out
 of the scripts, in preparation of attempting a install process where
 questions are asked before an install, not during one, so one may
 answer a set of questions, and walk away; and sore the answers to
 automatically feed another machine in a farm of machines.

	So, unless there is compelling arguments in favour, I am
 disinclined to further increase the complexity of the postinstall
 script (since a simple cp command provides the workaround).

	Comments?

	manoj
--
 If wishes were horses, then beggars would be thieves.