Re: Apt how, why, where

Manoj wrote:

> 	These are really the steps I take (one is supposed to read the
>  docs, but since I wrote 'em, I skip that step ;-)

>  For the Brave and the impatient:
> 1% cd <kernel source tree>
> 2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure
> 3% make-kpkg clean
> 4% fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
> 5# dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
> 6# shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a means of
>                    # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!
>
>  With the addition of fakeroot ( a really nice program, I recommend
>  it) Steps 1 to 4 can be carried out as a non root user. Step 5 does
>  require root privileges.

Being lazy myself, I have a feature request on behalf of all the (lazy)
loadlin users.  Would it be possible to have the newly created
kernel-image package offer the option of copying the kernel to the
place loadlin expects it in your setup?  I would figure that
kernel-package_...deb could ask if there is a standard
`loadlin-kernel-directory', and store that in its configuration files.
Of course it should rename old kernels using some intelligent renaming
scheme (vmlinuz.1, vmlinuz.2, ...).

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032