Re: checking 8 bit clean on ppp

>> "RH" == Richard E Hawkins Esq <hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu> writes:

RH> I almost have this laptop connected by ppp to the debian machine on my
RH> desk, but not quite.

[...]

RH> It now has a serial connection, and the host machine knows that
RH> it's logged in [i checked :) ]

RH> Aug 11 15:26:39 hawkins pppd[775]: Using interface ppp0
RH> Aug 11 15:26:39 hawkins pppd[775]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
RH> Aug 11 15:26:39 hawkins pppd[775]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magi
RH> c 0xffff5557> <pcomp> <accomp>]
RH> Aug 11 15:27:06 hawkins last message repeated 9 times
RH> Aug 11 15:27:09 hawkins pppd[775]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
RH> Aug 11 15:27:09 hawkins pppd[775]: Connection terminated.
RH> Aug 11 15:27:09 hawkins pppd[775]: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
RH> Aug 11 15:27:09 hawkins pppd[775]: Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
RH> Aug 11 15:27:10 hawkins pppd[775]: Exit.

RH> huh?  This is an 8 bit clean connection.  so how to i test it myself to
RH> have something to show the telecommunications folks?  Or could my modem
RH> be sending 7 bits?  It's a compaq pcmia modem in an ibm thinkpad.

This message means something else.

You have logged into a terminal. Now chat exits and pppd starts. Then
it send LCP requests to establish a ppp connection. Since the is no
pppd running on the other side of the link, your side doesn't get an
answer.

You have to start pppd before exiting the chatscript.

Most likely you will have to specify some parameter. As I have never
done such a thing (only dial ins right into a waiting pppd, no
terminal login), I can only point you towards /usr/doc/ppp and man
pppd.

But you get the picture about the reason of this error I hope.

Maybe you would have to choose some other item from the menu? What
does the helpdesk about the procedure of dial in? They most likely
only know windows, but the menuchoices are the same regardless of the
OS.

Good luck,
	Martin

--
from a 1996 Microshit ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"