Re: Which Video Card?

> ah
> you use the mystiqe too?
> great, so there is support
> i have it set for vga
Are you running Debian? What version of Xwindows are you running? I am
running 6.3, I think.
> which of course works... but i dont exactly like 320x240, 16 colors
> hm..
> i have a problem
> i want to get back into the setup for xwindows
> now, remember i am new and i don't know much about anything
> okay
> in the directory /usr/sbin...
> xbase-configure?

To use the Matrox Mystique you need to be running the SVGA server.
There is a site dedicated to setting up Matrox cards for Linux. I don;t
remember the url, just search for it on Infoseek. To configure xwindows
use XF86Config or for a text setup use xf86config. The xf86config is
better sometimes because you can see exactly what you putting in for your
settings.

> well
> i run that and i get an error message, something to do with xserver, that
> does not allow me to go into setup!
> ah
> aaaah
>
> oh
> what exactly are all the packages to have xwindows to work?
> this is just a first time thing, so i am not dual booting on that machine,
> and there is nothing for the interent for any network
> i have used nt and have been able to set up a proxy on this, but eventually
> i will be dual booting here to be able to do it the linux way
>  how exactly should i get xwindwos to just work, and to work looking really
> cool like i have seen at various pages
> www.rasterman.com or something? that and some nice windows manager themes
> whatever
> oh that reminds me
> how does xwindows work?
> is it true that there are various guis available for it?
> i have seen some that supposedly look like windows 95
> what would be the coolest looking one
> where i can have 1024x768x65536, and some nice looking icons (i saw one
> where there are these eyes that follow you to the right of your screen)

I use AfterStep.