Re: starting ppp on host end

jens wrote,

> > > Actually I recommend using mgetty. mgetty is capable of "auto sensing" ppp
> when
> > > it picks up the line so you don't even have to log in and start ppp, your
> > > script simply waits for connect and then you authenticate using PAP or CHAP
> .
> >
> > so I merely need to install mgetty on the remote host, and it will
> > replace getty?
> >
> > > If
> > > you like you can have pppd use the regular user/password database to
> > > authenticate you. Having installed mgetty and made the necessary changes to
> > > /etc/inittab you can put this line in /etc/mgetty/login.config (my email cl
> ient
> > > might wrap the line but it's supposed to be a single line):
> > >
> > > /AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/pppd proxyarp auth -chap +pap login modem
> > > crtscts 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.127
> >
> > I've tryied a PAP script, but I can't see a difference between it's end and t
> e plain chat script.  So let's see if I've got this straight:
> >
> > 1)  install mgetty on the remote host
> > 2) put the Autoppp line above in, but switch "local" for  "modem crtscts"
> >    as this is coming in over ethernet by the time it gets to the remote
> >    host.  And switch to IP numbers to the static addresses for my local
> >    machine and the remote (i have a secon IP on the same subnet to use\
> >    for the local machine).
> > 3) use pppconfig to get an initial PAP chatscript.
> > 4) add a few lines aftr connect to handle the network logon and machine
> >    selection, stoppping right before the remote system would offer a login
> >     prompt.
>
> Ooops. Sorry, I forgot that you're not dialing into a modem. No, this won't wor
> k because mgetty only works on modems. Hmmm. If you have a
> script on the remote end which just runs pppd you should be able to just run th
> is. Is that what you had working before? You were using pon?
> Why?

months ago, I was using pon to go straight to an ISP.  Now i need to go
throught the university modem pool, login to that netwrok, issue a command
to go 8 bit clean, then another to telnet to the ppp "host", at which time
I can initiate ppp.  Howe ef, this time I control the machines at both
ends; I just need to get them talking.

hmm, it must be time to o to bed--i'm trying to figure out if ppp stands
for "particularly painful protocol" :)

> > 5) try pon again.

> > > You shouldn't need to insert these modules if you have modules auto loaded.
> >
> > that's my impression too, but my modules don't seem to autoload:

> Weird. Ok.

yeah, i've just learned to live with it.  It's not a big enough problem
to spend a day on.

rick