Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Chris Ulrich wrote:

>   I can think of many reasons why bash should not be used as /bin/sh:
> [...]
> Compatibility: People are tempted to (and in fact do) write scripts that
>        use bash specific extensions when explicitly calling /bin/sh.
>        On all other unix systems, /bin/sh does not have bash specific
>        extensions.
> [...]
> Any script that needs an extension that is not in traditional Bourne shell
> but which calls /bin/sh is buggy and should be fixed.

Very correct. I wouldn't say this is a serious problem with Debian because
Debian intends to be a very "tied" distribution, and bash is considered an
essential package. But the correct approach in this case would be to have
the scripts call /bin/bash explicitly.

The problem that *I* have with /bin/sh is that I learned *bash* scripting
(with "Learning the Bash shell"), so I don't know when I'm using bash
extensions... Thankfully, I'm not a package maintainer (yet).

See ya,
Nelson
lago@that.com.br
That's Internet!

"The future? I've seen the future: It's a 46 years old
virgin singing 'I am a hotdog'" - From "Demolition Man"