Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

Hi,
>>"George" == George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com> writes:

 George> I agree. If I am speaking nonsense, just tell me what part of
 George> my idea is nonsense and why rather than a blanket statement
 George> along the lines of "The thoughts of the user community are of
 George> no importance to us" which is the message I heard.

	I was not going to respond to this thread any more (I really
 fail to find your arguments convincing), but this gross
 mischaracterization is something I have to correct.

	I assume you were referring to my posts, though you were too
 polite to say so.

	I never said (nor did anyone on thisd mailing list) that "The
 thoughts of the user community are of no importance to us".

	I do refute that "Since the users are the ones you all are
 doing this for, you are working for the users, by gar, and what they
 say is of over riding and paramont importance, and do what they say
 or else"

	Yes, I exagerate. But no more than the user-unfreindly spin
 that peole have been putting on my statements.

 George> That hurts as a user and leaves one feeling that they can not
 George> contribute the results of their life experiance which may be
 George> quite a bit more varied than a 20yo developer.

	Whatever gave you the idea that anyone is saying that
 non-developers can not or do not contribute? Bug reports, and request
 for enhancements, and feedback on user interface issues are
 important. The community which I write things for is larger than
 those who write code.

	However, remember that the people who work on free software
 projects may not share your views, and indeed, may have different
 agendas from your own.

	s far as the version numbering scheme goes: Major versions
 imply a significant (major) change in the distribution; in the past,
 a.out-->elf and libc5-->glibc have been considered major changes that
 warrant a major number increase. Whetner a change is "Major" or not
 is subjective; and indeed, so far, the changes that have qualified
 have been one time changes and unlikely to create a rule set from.

	There is an unspoken implication that there may be release
 boundary incompatibilites at a major number change; you may need to
 upgrade a significant number of packages on the system; and, in the
 past, that may mean that you can't mix and match packages between
 different releases; in the future, we shall do our darndest that such
 upheavals are prevented.

	Minor changes just cause the minor number of the release to be
 bumped up; and the changes in the system are minor; in the past, that
 has meant you can have a hyubrid system; in the future, we shall try
 extend this around major version changes too.

	The version numbers are determined based on an subjective and
 empirical measure of the changes involved, as determined by the
 developers; and not on pilitical motives like "that makes our version
 number higher than anyones".

	I still reject the idea that we should change major versions
 faster to increase our market share. I do not want to achieve market
 share that way. The same reason applies to the number assigned to
 slink: I would assign the number based on how different slink was,
 (and that depends on how much of the transition to the FHS, and the
 new way of doing releases, and the restructuring of the Archive gets
 done), rather than how well CD manufacturers can market the upcoming
 Slink.

	If forced, I shall ask the version number to be bumped up to a
 billion or so to fix this marketing problem once and for all.

	So pardon me for putting technical reasons ahead of marketing
 ones, and maybe this shall be the death of Debian if the project does
 it this way.  But making decisions based on marketting rather than on
 technical merit is as likely to kill Debian as anything else.

	As Debian has always averred, anyone can use Debian as a base
 for their own distribution, of this attitude offends or displeases
 anyone. And the version number of that distribution can be set to
 whatever the distributors like. (Is this being too offensive and
 confrontational? -- In the free software community that I matured in,
 if one did not like the current way, one created the method that
 worked better. But that is a dying philosophy, and doubtelless I
 shall be villified for bein harsh and selfish and unreasonable. So be
 it)

	manoj
--
 Let them obey that know not how to rule.  -- Shakespeare