Re: Maintaining the operating environment Questions:

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 11:01:54AM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, G. Kaplan wrote:
>
> > 3. a primary module i.e. .xyz.tar.gz
> Generally it's safest to untar, compile and install these with
> prefix=/usr/local ... debian packages won't touch anything under
> /usr/local,  so nothing will get overwritten or anything.  In general,  a
> lot of stuff you compile from tarballs yourself has a default install
> under /usr/local.

With respect to 1. and 2., one has to be careful here.

Native Debian packages don't touch /usr/local, so it is safe to put local
add ons there (and this is the intended and formal correct place).

BUT inofficial *.deb files and *.rpm files converted with alien may very
well contain /usr/local files, please check this with the "--contents"
option prior installation.

I believe you can even convert tar files to deb files. This is intereting if
you want to make /usr/local managed by dpkg.

Thank you,
Marcus