Re: emacs/xemacs conflict?

I didn't received the original message yet, so I answer to the
followup of Alexander.

>> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:04:47 -0500
>> From: the lone gunman <lgunman@crh1828.urh.uiuc.edu>
>> To: Debian/GNU User's List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
>> Subject: emacs/xemacs conflict?
>>

>> Why do the emacs and xemacs packages conflict under debian?  I wanted
>> to try xemacs, but had to "dpkg -r emacs" before I could "dpkg -i
>> xemacs"

Because the emacs and xemacs were not designed to be installed at the
same moment and share too many files at the result, e.g., the whole
/usr/info directory, utilities such as ctags and etags, and their
manual pages.

If you upgrade to Debian 2.0, you can install both emacs and xemacs.
Here is some explaination on the change in this debian release:

The former emacs and xemacs package has been replaced by a virtual
package emacsen.  This package means, that some kind (or flavour) of
emacs is installed and can be used by other packages the state the
dependency on some emacs.

There is a new common package called emacs-common, which contains code
for handling the different flavours.  This handling includes
bytecompiling lisp packages for all supporting flavours, read
/usr/doc/emacsen-common/debian-emacs-policy.gz.

The differnent flavour of emacs are implemented in the packages
emacs19, emacs20, and xemacs20.  Each one of these depends on
emacsen-common and didn't conflict which each other.  That means, you
can have GNU Emacs 19.34, GNU Emacs 20.2, and XEmacs 20.4 all
installed at the same time without conflicting each other.  The info
directory is now separated into an emacs-independent part (the
/usr/info) and each emacs release get its own subdirectory within
/usr/info.  The different kind of utilties programs are covered by the
alternatives mechanism in debian.

Hoever, to make the change from emacs->emacsen complete, the
emacsen-common conflicts with the /old/ emacs (19) package from bo.

To make the long story short, install emacsen-common, emacs19 (or
emacs20, whatever you prefer) and xemacs20 to have both GNU Emacs and
XEmacs installed.

	Torsten