Re: I give UP

On 28-Jul-1998, Paul Sellers <psellers@livenet.net> wrote:
> All I wanted was info on installilng Linus on a Win95 system. A search on
> "Win95" got 18 hits, none of which (summary) mentioned Win95.
> Most everything I clicked off the main page didn't load (quickly).
>
> I was perusing the bootDisk #15 with Linux as the main item.
>
> How about if I install it on a Win3.1 system ??
>
> Guess I am not enough of a hacker to wade thru all the warnings and  stuff
> to d/l  if and when this/that crashes.  Not enough hours in the day to play
> computer, help the wife, play with  the  kids, cut the grass etc and etc.

First you need to make a big hot cup of coffee/tea/hot-chocoloate.

Then you need to relax for a minute or two.  Ok.

You seem to be confused about the concept of installing Linux on a
system.  If you want to install Linux on a PC that already has windows,
you do it by simply installing it into a different partition.  Then,
later on, you can set up the computer to give you a choice of which
partition to boot -- your old one with Windows, or your new one with
Linux.  At first, it's recommended to just use a boot disk -- the
install process should offer to create one for you, then you can just
stick it in the drive when you want to boot Linux (later you can set
things up to get a choice between the two without using a floppy).

So you will need to either use an existing partition on your hard drive,
or re-partition your drive to make a new partition.  Once you have an
empty partition, you split it in two, Linux uses one as swap space, and
one to store programs and data.

That should help you get a bit further -- come back to debian-user
and ask questions if you need to.

--
Tyson.