Re: Win95 and Win98 can do it. Re: Question about screen size in X and questions about Netscape

Christopher Barry wrote:
> When I was using Windows 95 I downloaded the "power toy" quickres and I
> was able to switch between multiple color depths and resolutions on the
> fly and all the windows would properly resize themselves. If I was using
> 1600x1200 and with Netscape maximised on screen and came to a web page
> with a lot of fine print, I could just quickres to 1280x1024 and
> Netscape would automatically be maximised on screen. You don't need to
> cram 1024 points into 640, you just need the mode switching in X up to
> Windows 95 standards for God's sake so that it is intelligent enough to
> resize windows for you.

This is what we lose by separating X into components like X servers and
window managers. The components arn't too closely tied together and cannot
communicate in some ways - for example a window manager doesn't get notified
when you change resolutions in X [1].

We gain a hell of a lot though. Choices of different window managers. Even
the ability to run the X server on one computer and the window manager on
another. I think it's worth it.

--
see shy jo

[1] I assume - I don't know X internals. As you may tell by my
    probable misuse of the term "X server" ;-)