Small laptop, 120Mb HD: Linux?

I'd like to put Linux onto a Toshiba T2100 Satellite laptop with 120Mbyte
harddrive. I believe it's a 486sx.  It has 8 megs of ram so I don't care to
run X. I'd like to put on a minimalist installation but I need to have some
emacsen, gcc. Optional but highly desireable is Octave, Perl. I'll be
installing the base with floppy disks, but will be installing the rest from
a parallel zip drive, if possible.

I want to use it for a numerical analysis class so it needs quite a few
utilities, but we'll have to see how much I can fit on it.

My questions are:
What is the best way to install?

I can't install all the recommended stuff because that is just too big. My
tentative plan is to put base on it, see how much space is left, add emacs
with no x, add octave, and Perl. I'll need about 5 or 10 megs for user
account space.

Can anyone who has had a similar situation or experience comment?

Thanx,

Ed

Ed Young                           (303)706-5425
ed.young@echostar.com
Software Engineering
Echostar Technology Corporation
Denver, Colorado