Re: Small laptop, 120Mb HD: Linux?

On Fri, Jul 24, 1998 at 10:13:11AM -0600, Young, Ed wrote:

> I'd like to put Linux onto a Toshiba T2100 Satellite laptop with 120Mbyte
> harddrive. I believe it's a 486sx.  It has 8 megs of ram so I don't care to
> run X. I'd like to put on a minimalist installation but I need to have some
> emacsen, gcc. Optional but highly desireable is Octave, Perl. I'll be
> installing the base with floppy disks, but will be installing the rest from
> a parallel zip drive, if possible.
>
> I want to use it for a numerical analysis class so it needs quite a few
> utilities, but we'll have to see how much I can fit on it.
>
> My questions are:
> What is the best way to install?

I do a base install, then put the packages I want on the zip disk and
do "dpkg -i" from there. In fact, I have written scripts to do that for
me since I have a "basic build" I want on several machines.

> I can't install all the recommended stuff because that is just too big. My
> tentative plan is to put base on it, see how much space is left, add emacs
> with no x, add octave, and Perl. I'll need about 5 or 10 megs for user
> account space.
>
> Can anyone who has had a similar situation or experience comment?

Here's what my T2105CS looks like. It has 12MB of RAM and I've
upgraded the HD to 1.3GB, of which about 300MB is used for Linux. This
installation provides a very usable machine for me.

This is hamm, from around the time it went beta.

pann@lapHamm$ uname -a
Linux lapHamm 2.0.34 #1 Thu Jul 9 21:41:19 PDT 1998 i486 unknown

pann@lapHamm$ df /
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda8             302463   95179   191662     33%   /

pann@lapHamm$ du -s /usr/src/
31696	/usr/src

I have kernel and pcmcia source taking up a fair chunk of space. You
could replace that with emacs, maybe.  ;-)

pann@lapHamm$ dpkg --list
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  adduser         3.8            Add users and groups to the system.
ii  ae              962-20         Anthony's Editor -- a tiny full-screen edito
ii  at              3.1.8-2.1      Delayed job execution and batch processing
ii  base-files      2.0            Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
ii  base-passwd     2.0.3.3        Debian Base System Password/Group Files
ii  bash            2.01.1-3       The GNU Bourne Again SHell
ii  bc              1.04-4         An arbitrary precision calculator language.
ii  bin86           0.13.0-4       16-bit assembler and loader
ii  binutils        2.9.1-0.2      The GNU assembler, linker and binary utiliti
ii  bsdmainutils    4.2            More utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  bsdutils        4.2            Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  cpio            2.4.2-16       GNU cpio -- a program to manage archives of
ii  cpp             2.7.2.3-4.7    The GNU C preprocessor.
ii  cron            3.0pl1-45      management of regular background processing
ii  data-dumper     2.07-1.1       Store and retrieve perl data structures
ii  dc              1.04-4         An arbitrary precision reverse-polish calcul
ii  debianutils     1.9            Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian.
ii  diff            2.7-16         File comparison utilities
ii  doc-debian      1.8            Debian Manual, FAQ and other documents
ii  doc-linux       98.03-1        Linux FAQ
ii  dpkg            1.4.0.23.2     Package maintenance system for Debian Linux
ii  dpkg-dev        1.4.0.23.2     Package building tools for Debian Linux
ii  dpkg-ftp        1.4.9.6        Ftp method for dselect.
ii  dpkg-mountable  0.7            Enhanced access method for dselect
ii  e2fsprogs       1.10-17        The EXT2 file system utilities and libraries
ii  ed              0.2-16         The classic unix line editor
ii  elvis-tiny      1.4-5          Tiny vi compatible editor for the base syste
ii  fdflush         1.0.0-12       A disk-flushing program.
ii  file            3.24-4         Determines file type using "magic" numbers
ii  fileutils       3.16-5.2       GNU file management utilities.
ii  findutils       4.1-28         utilities for finding files--find, xargs, an
ii  gcc             2.7.2.3-4.7    The GNU C compiler.
ii  gpm             1.13-5         General Purpose Mouse Interface
ii  grep            2.1-8          GNU grep, egrep and fgrep.
ii  groff           1.11a-2        GNU troff text-formatting system.
ii  gzip            1.2.4-27       The GNU compression utility.
ii  hostname        2.04           A utility to set/show the host name or domai
ii  iamerican       3.1.20-0.2     An American English dictionary for ispell.
ii  info            3.9-5          Standalone GNU Info documentation browser
ii  isapnptools     1.13-3.1       ISA Plug-And-Play configuration utilities.
ii  ispell          3.1.20-0.2     An interactive spelling corrector
ii  kbd             0.95-16        Linux console font and keytable utilities.
ii  kernel-image-2. Toshiba.1.0    Linux kernel binary image.
ii  kernel-package  4.11           Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.
ii  kernel-source-2 2.0.34-2       Linux kernel source.
ii  ldso            1.9.9-1        The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilit
ii  less            332-4          A file pager program, similar to more(1)
ii  lha             1.00-6         lzh un-archiver
ii  libc6           2.0.7r-2       The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libc6-dev       2.0.7r-2       The GNU C library version 2 (development fil
ii  libdb2          2.3.16-7       The Berkeley database routines (run-time fil
ii  libg++272       2.7.2.8-0.1    The GNU C++ libraries (libc6 version).
ii  libgdbmg1       1.7.3-25       GNU dbm database routines (runtime version).
ii  libgpmg1        1.13-5         General Purpose Mouse Library [libc6]
ii  libnet-perl     1.0502-1.1     Implementation of Internet protocols for Per
ii  libreadlineg2   2.1-10         GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
ii  libstdc++2.8    2.90.29-0.5    The GNU stdc++ library (egcs version)
ii  lilo            20-0.1         LInux LOader - Loads Linux from the hard dis
ii  linuxlogo       1.06-5         Color ANSI Penguin with system information
ii  locales         2.0.7r-2       Locale data files and utilities.
ii  login           980403-0.2     Sign on to the system.
ii  lpr             5.9-27         BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling system
ii  lrzsz           0.12b-1.1      zmodem/ymodem/xmodem transfer package
ii  lynx            2.8-2          Text-mode WWW Browser
ii  magicfilter     1.2-21         automatic printer filter.
ii  mailx           8.1.1-9        A simple mail user agent.
ii  make            3.76.1-8       The GNU version of the "make" utility.
ii  makedev         1.6-32         Creates special device files in /dev.
ii  man-db          2.3.10-65      Display the on-line manual.
ii  manpages        1.19-1         Man pages about using a Linux system.
ii  mawk            1.3.3-2        a pattern scanning and text processing langu
ii  mbr             1.0.0-6        Master Boot Record for IBM-PC compatible com
ii  mc              4.1.35-1       Midnight Commander - A powerful file manager
ii  mime-support    2.17-1         MIME files 'mime.types' & 'mailcap', and sup
ii  minicom         1.75-3         Clone of the MS-DOS "Telix" communications p
ii  modconf         0.2.17         Device Driver Configuration
ii  modutils        2.1.85-11      Linux module utilities.
ii  mount           2.7l-5         Tools for mounting and manipulating filesyst
ii  mtools          3.8-1          Tools for manipulating MSDOS files
ii  mutt            0.91.1-7       Text-based mailreader supporting MIME and th
ii  ncurses-base    1.9.9g-8.6     Video terminal manipulation - Minimum termin
ii  ncurses-bin     1.9.9g-8.6     Video terminal manipulation - associated pro
ii  ncurses3.4      1.9.9g-8.6     Video terminal manipulation - shared librari
ii  ncurses3.4-dev  1.9.9g-8.6     Video terminal manipulation - Developer's li
ii  netbase         3.09-1         Basic TCP/IP networking binaries
ii  netstd          3.07-1         Networking binaries and daemons for Linux
ii  newt0.21        0.21-8         Not Erik's Windowing Toolkit - text mode win
ii  nvi             1.79-5         4.4BSD re-implementation of vi.
ii  passwd          980403-0.2     Change and administer password and group dat
ii  patch           2.5-2          Apply a diff file to an original
ii  pcmcia-cs       3.0.0-8        PCMCIA Card Services for Linux.
ii  pcmcia-modules- 3.0.0-8+Toshib PCMCIA Modules for Linux (kernel 2.0.34).
ii  pcmcia-source   3.0.0-8        PCMCIA Card Services source.
ii  perl            5.004.04-6     Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
ii  perl-base       5.004.04-6     The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister
ii  ppp             2.3.5-2        Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) daemon.
ii  pppconfig       1.1            pppconfig is a text based utility for config
ii  procps          1.2.7-1        The /proc file system utilities.
ii  psmisc          16-2           Utilities that use the proc filesystem
ii  sed             2.05-22        The GNU sed stream editor.
ii  setserial       2.12-6         Controls configuration of serial ports.
ii  shellutils      1.16-6         The GNU shell programming utilities.
ii  slang0.99.38    0.99.38-5      The S-Lang programming library, shared libra
ii  smail           3.2.0.101-4.4  Electronic mail transport system.
ii  sysklogd        1.3-26         Kernel and system logging daemons
ii  syslinux        1.40-2         Bootloader for Linux/i386 using MS-DOS flopp
ii  sysvinit        2.75-3         System-V like init.
ii  tar             1.12-6         GNU tar
ii  textutils       1.22-2.4       The GNU text file processing utilities.
ii  timezones       2.0.7r-2       Time zone data files and utilities.
ii  unarj           2.41a-6        arj unarchive utility
ii  unzip           5.32-1         De-archiver for .zip files
ii  update          1.3-2          daemon to periodically flush filesystem buff
ii  urlview         0.7-3          Extracts URLs from text
ii  util-linux      2.7.1-3        Miscellaneous system utilities.
ii  whiptail        0.21-8         Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from she
ii  zip             2.20-2         Archiver for .zip files
ii  zlib1g          1.1.1-0.1      compression library - runtime
ii  zoo             2.10-5         manipulate archives of files in compressed f

HTH. Cheers,
 Pann