RE: Small laptop, 120Mb HD: Linux?

On 24-Jul-98 Young, Ed wrote:
> I'd like to put Linux onto a Toshiba T2100 Satellite laptop with 120Mbyte
> harddrive. I believe it's a 486sx.  It has 8 megs of ram so I don't care to
> run X. I'd like to put on a minimalist installation but I need to have some
> emacsen, gcc. Optional but highly desireable is Octave, Perl. I'll be
> installing the base with floppy disks, but will be installing the rest from
> a parallel zip drive, if possible.
>
> I want to use it for a numerical analysis class so it needs quite a few
> utilities, but we'll have to see how much I can fit on it.

Way way back I once had SLS Linux on a 40MB disk + 4MB RAM. No X of course, nor
emacs. Octave was smaller then (so were a lot of other things, including gcc)
but it went on.

Basically: 5MB swap, 25MB for the Linux stuff, 10MB for user apps (including
octave) and user files. I managed to get a lot of work done with this (mainly
with octave & troff).

(Mind you, a lot of stuff got archived to floppies, and there were periodic
fierce deletion sessions).

You might even find space for a minimal X: if you can get it on the HD along
with your other stuff, it should run OK in 8MB RAM.

Best of luck,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 24-Jul-98                                       Time: 18:19:40