Re: Mouse movement weirdness with latest X packages

FYI:

I just upgraged to the rev 3.3.2.2-3 X11 packages and the mouse movement
sluggishness and jerkiness seems to have gone away, and it seems that the
random "button pressing" behavior has disappeared.

I'm guessing this is what affected me, although I'm using xserver-s3,
not the SVGA server (from /usr/doc/xbase/changelog.Debian.gz):

  * programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common_hw/xf86_PCI.c: reversed patch from
    XFree86, was causing problems for many users of SVGA X server
    (Fixes: #24040)
  * programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc/scanpci.c: reversed patch from XFree86,
    was causing problems for many users of SVGA X server

However, there is still one problem that persists, that has happened to
me twice in the last 24 hours.  In both cases I had been using less or
zless in an xterm window, and when I attempted to move the cursor away from
the xterm window, the cursor did move outside the window, but it remained a
text cursor, the window did not lose focus, I could not move beyond the
edges of my screen into other areas of my virtual desktop, and no other
window manager functions would work outside the xterm window (i.e.
I couldn't pop a menu or double-click to pop up an icon).  All text
operations continued to work inside the xterm window however.  In both
cases I was able to exit this mode by terminating (^d) the xterm.  This
behavior is random--I have tried to reproduce it several times but so far
I haven't been successful.

Anyone else see this type of behavior?

--ken

On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 11:51:43PM -0500, Ken Lauffenburger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just recently updated the X11 packages on my Hamm system from rev 3.3.2.1-1
> to 3.3.2.2-1 and then to 3.3.2.2-2.  Ever since, simple X-Y mouse movements
> cause the window manager to act as if the mouse buttons are being randomly
> pressed.  This of course causes all sorts of annoying things to happen, like
> menus popping up randomly, windows losing focus, and commands getting
> unintentionally executed.  Also cursor movement is occasionally sluggish or
> jerky, as if some mouse events are lost, or maybe as if the system is under
> a momentary heavy load, although the xsysinfo meter shows no spike in
> activity.
>
> This behavior happens with both the 3.3.2.2-1 and 3.3.2.2-2 revisions.  I
> had none of these problems with previous revisions.

                              __
  Ken Lauffenburger          / /                    __  __
  ken@efficient.com         / /  D e b i a n  G N U \ \/ /
                       ________http://www.debian.org________