Mouse movement weirdness with latest X packages

Hello,

I just recently updated the X11 packages on my Hamm system from rev 3.3.2.1-1
to 3.3.2.2-1 and then to 3.3.2.2-2.  Ever since, simple X-Y mouse movements
cause the window manager to act as if the mouse buttons are being randomly
pressed.  This of course causes all sorts of annoying things to happen, like
menus popping up randomly, windows losing focus, and commands getting
unintentionally executed.  Also cursor movement is occasionally sluggish or
jerky, as if some mouse events are lost, or maybe as if the system is under
a momentary heavy load, although the xsysinfo meter shows no spike in
activity.

This behavior happens with both the 3.3.2.2-1 and 3.3.2.2-2 revisions.  I
had none of these problems with previous revisions.

I use FVWM2 and xserver-s3.  None of my X configuration files were changed
during the upgrades except the /etc/X11/Xresources file, which was changed
by the installation script.  Basically these changes have to do with changes
to the Delete, Home, and End key translations, and setting the TERM
environment variable to "xterm-debian" instead of "xterm".  I tried using my
previous Xresources file, but the mouse problems have not gone away.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?  I scanned the change log for
the xbase and xserver-s3 packages, and checked the bug report logs, but I
was unable to find any similar description of this problem.

Any suggestions or clues would be quite appreciated.

Also, on a related note, what is the purpose of changing the TERM variable
to "xterm-debian" ?  I'm planning on changing it back on my system unless
there is some benefit that I haven't discovered yet.  The problem I have is
when I establish an ssh session to my Sun machine at work, it doesn't
understand "xterm-debian" and I have to set the TERM variable to "xterm" to
get any useful work done.

Thanks.

--ken

P.S.  I just noticed that my nice mutt colors go away when I set TERM back
to "xterm"  :-(

                              __
  Ken Lauffenburger          / /                    __  __
  ken@efficient.com         / /  D e b i a n  G N U \ \/ /
                       ________http://www.debian.org________