Re: problems with X in hamm

I am not using hamm, but is the wrapper /usr/X11R6/bin/X suid root?

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> I have been trying to install a new machine with the frozen hamm
> distribution and I am running into 2 problems with X11.
>
> 1. No user outside root is allowed to start X11.  This may be a
> configuration issue but I know that this did not happen in Debian 1.3
>
> 2. I use a S3 ViRGE video card and I am noticing that I have a corrupted
> text console screen when I exit X (running it as root, of course).  This
> happens both when I am using the SVGA server and the S3V server.
>
> I am about to drop back to 1.3 out of frustration but wondered if these
> problems are just my incompetence...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carlo
>

> <------------------------------->
>
> Carlo U. Segre
> Associate Professor of Physics
> Illinois Institute of Technology
> Chicago, IL 60616
> Voice:(312) 567-3498
> FAX:  (312) 567-3494
> http://www.iit.edu/~segre
> segre@iit.edu
>

> --

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills              *  Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.              *
* EMAIL: paul@mills-usa.com  *  WEB: http://mills-usa.com/          *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *