problems with X in hamm

I have been trying to install a new machine with the frozen hamm
distribution and I am running into 2 problems with X11.

1. No user outside root is allowed to start X11.  This may be a
configuration issue but I know that this did not happen in Debian 1.3

2. I use a S3 ViRGE video card and I am noticing that I have a corrupted
text console screen when I exit X (running it as root, of course).  This
happens both when I am using the SVGA server and the S3V server.

I am about to drop back to 1.3 out of frustration but wondered if these
problems are just my incompetence...

Cheers,

Carlo

Carlo U. Segre