Re: [avandor@intergate.bc.ca: crc error]

On: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 07:01:27 +0200 Hanno Wagner writes:

> boot:
> Uncompressing Linux...........
>
>     crc error
>
> --System halted
>
> I have read heard about problems with bad floppies.  The same happend with
> the 3rd floppy.  I bought a brand new pack of floppies today so I would  be
> less likely to have a problem ( they are even branded ).
>
> Is this a common problem.
>
> Machine is a HP Vectra.  P200 with 64MB Ram.
>
> Regards
>
> Nik Swain

This could be memory problems too.  I had these errors both with the
Debian kernel and the FreeBSD kernel when there were 3-chip SIMMs in a
board that could only handle the 9-chip ones (a good old 386-40).

As this error happens while unpacking the kernel (not while loading
it) I strongly suggest setting the memory parameter in the BIOS setup
to the most conservative setting possible.

	Torsten

BTW: I sent a mail copy to avandor@intergate.bc.ca because I don't
know if he/she is reading this list.

--
Girls marry for love.  Boys marry because of a chronic irritation that
causes them to gravitate in the direction of objects with certain