Re: can't find bind

On 14 Jul 1998, Michael Harnois wrote:

: I have bind set up as a caching-only nameserver on the machine that
: serves as my internet gateway, and it works just peachy. However, my
: workstation can't see it: i.e. when I run nslookup, I get
:
: *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.3: Non-existent
:     host/domain
:
: and it rolls over to the second listing in resolv.conf, my ISP's
: nameserver. Since everything else on my localnet works fine, what's
: wrong here?

One (or more) of the daemons is trying to do a reverse lookup.  TCP
wrappers like to do this, for example.  However, no-one reverse serves
0.168.192.in-addr.arpa, because it's an RFC1918 network.

You can

1) reverse serve the domain yourself, in which case you should NOT
answer DNS queries from outside your network, or

2) Play with /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} and either disable TCP wrappers or
explicitly allowing connections from 192.168.0.0/24, or

3) Find out which daemons (or services) are doing reverse lookups and
make them not do that.  Number 2 will probably accomplish this.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104