re: can't find bind

Michael Harnois wrote:

> I have bind set up as a caching-only nameserver on the machine that
> serves as my internet gateway, and it works just peachy. However, my
> workstation can't see it: i.e. when I run nslookup, I get

> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.3: Non-existent
>    host/domain
>
> and it rolls over to the second listing in resolv.conf, my ISP's
> nameserver. Since everything else on my localnet works fine, what's
> wrong here?

nslookup depends on the creation of ``A'' records in files kept
in /var/named/ directory.  The Debian install and setup does not
create these for you.  You have to do a little work on your own
and create a full fledge name server for your network.

First run run bind config to set up the various files that you need
under Debian.  When it comes to the point of asking whether you want
a caching only server answer no.  Bindconfig will prompt you for the
forwarders and such.  These are the actual nameserver addresses of
your isp nameserver 1 and 2.

After you have the that done hand edit the /var/named/boot.options
file to reflect your local nameserver

example:

;
; Options for name server
; Use `bindconfig' to automatically configure this file
;

forwarders      198.69.186.1  198.69.186.2

; type          domain                  source          file
primary         localhost                               named.local
primary         127.in-addr.arpa                        named.rev-local

;; Custom configurations below (will be preserved)
primary         jesus-is.org                            named.hosts
primary         1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
named.rev-hostspatches-place:/var/named/

next edit the /var/named.hosts file to reflect your system host names

example:

;
; /var/named/named.hosts
;
; BIND our hosts
;
@       IN      SOA     patches-place.jesus-is.org.
leroy.patches-place.jesus-is.org. (
                              1         ; Serial
                          86400         ; Refresh 24 hours
                            900         ; Retry 15 minutes
                        2592000         ; Expire 30 days
                        1209600 )       ; Default TTL 14 days
;
        IN      NS      patches-place.jesus-is.org.
        IN      MX      5 patches-place.jesus-is.org
;

; patches-place:
;
patches-place IN      A       192.168.1.1
              IN      HINFO   PC-586          Linux
ns            IN      A       192.168.1.1
nameserver    IN      CNAME   patches-place.jesus-is.org.
;

;
;
; other hosts
;
;
peepers         IN      A       192.168.1.2
                IN      HINFO   PC-386SX        Linux

monet           IN      A       192.168.1.3
                IN      HINFO   PC-Pentium      Linux

Next edit /var/named/named.rev-hosts

example:

;
; /var/named/named.rev-hosts
;
;named.rev-hosts
;
@       IN      SOA     patches-place.jesus-is.org.
lcressy.patches-place.jesus-is.org. (

                              1         ; Serial
                          86400         ; Refresh 24 hours
                            900         ; Retry 15 minutes
                        2592000         ; Expire 30 days
                        1209600 )       ; Default TTL 14 days
;
        IN      NS      patches-place.jesus-is.org.
;
; reverse map your IP addresses
;
0       IN      PTR      jesus-is.org
1       IN      PTR      patches-place.jesus-is.org.
2       IN      PTR      peepers.jesus-is.org.
3       IN      PTR      monet.jesus-is.org

Next edit your /etc/resolv.conf to point to your name server

example:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
search jesus-is.org
nameserver      192.168.1.1

finally, edit your /etc/host.conf

example:

order hosts,bind
multi on
nospoof on
alert on
trim jesus-is.org

Well anyway, I hope that this helps your church.  PTL
BTW, I usually don't read the user list, so if you have
any questions mail me directly

Thanks
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037