Re: linux + win95: linux boot partition/1024 cylinder limit

> after reading the relevant FAQs, HowTOs, installation instructions etc.
> I recognized that all bootable partitions must start before the 1024th
> cylinder (I would like to use LILO), so I thought the best solution
> might be to have these partitions:

Personally, I use loadlin to boot unix from DOS7, so the linux partition
can be anywhere...

> primary:
> - X MB linux native for booting linux
> - 1 GB fat16 for win95
>
> extended:
> - 48 MB linux swap (=2x my RAM)
> - 1 GB linux native for linux apps
> - 1 GB fat16 for documents accessible for both win95 and linux

The 1GB of docs can just be part of your DOS7/win95 partition.  With the
vfat module loaded, you can mount your DOS7/win95 partition from linux as
/mnt/dos, so your shared document files can be stored as normal in the
DOS/95 partition where they will be local to DOS/95 and no problem for
linux to access.

So really all you need is three partitions:

2GB fat16 partition
1GB linux partitoion
and use the spare change as your swap.

I really enjoy the freedom of using loadlin.  I can boot linux from the C:
prompt, boot linux from win95 (win95 unloads to DOS7, then boots linux.
So linux is being booted from win95, nto run from win95), or set up
DOS7/win95 upon load to have boot options.

I have win95, IE4, Outlook 98, PC-DOS 6 (don't ask), win 3.1, Office97,
some games, a full Debian installation with X, StarOffice, and Netscapes
for linux and win95 all on a 4GB drive with 2GB fat16 and 2GB linux (and
spare space as swap) and each partition is less than a third full... So
getting all that on 3.2GB drive with a gig remaining for documents
shouldn't be a problem.