Re: linux + win95: linux boot partition/1024 cylinder limit

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Patrick Meidl wrote:

> primary:
1) X MB linux native for booting linux
2) 1 GB fat16 for win95

3) extended:
4)  48 MB linux swap (=2x my RAM)
5)  1 GB linux native for linux apps
6)  1 GB fat16 for documents accessible for both win95 and linux
for ease I have indexed the partitioning you outlined :)

What I recommend you do is make 1 a 15 meg linux native parittion to mount
as "/". Then break 5 up into 200 meg for "/var", 1-200 meg for "/home",
100 meg for /tmp and the rest for "/usr"

> my questions are:
>
> - what is the minimal size for the linux boot partition?
well they say 50 meg but that includes var and tmp on that partition. my
moving /var /tmp /usr and maybe even /home off of your main partition you
can have sub 20 meg "/" partitions, this is a benifit beause if any other
partition corrupts a unicie will handle it well but if "/" corrupts you
are in deep do-do :) having "/" as small as possible limits the chance of
corruption.

> - what files will it contain?
the "/" dir structure, /proc, /etc, /boot, /dev, /mnt and various other
dirs.

> - what happens during the installation process: how do I tell debian
> where to put what? (sorry for this unprecise newbie question)
this is the easy part. make sure to install lose95 first partitioning 1
and 2 (order is unimportant if lose95 wants the front of the drive give it
to it). then start the Debian install, select the initialize a linux
partition option and initialize the partition of 1 and 2 that you have
spared for linux and when asked tell it to mount it on "/", then use the
partition an hard drive option to create all your other partitions. then
one at a time initialize and your linux partitions (write down _exactly_
which partition you want mounted where) telling the install script where
to mount them when it asks (if the default isn't what you want then change
it). then just finish the install.

> furthermore, I would appreciate any suggestions for a better solution
> of the win95+linux shared documents problem.
give the other 1GB partition to linux and leave those docs on your lose95
partition and mount the partition under linux  and edit them :)

Nikolai