Re: sound recording under linux

On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 09:00:08PM -0500, the lone gunman wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 1998 at 04:46:58PM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
> > Hi. I do a lot of this kind of thing, so let me tell you what my setup is.
>
> Hey, thanks for the info -- it's very helpful!

np :)

> > I have two boxes that I use to make my music with. One is an old 486-66 msdos-
> > debian dualbooter, and the other is a K6-166 linux box. They are both on
> > ethernet, and I have the MS SMB client for the dos side of the dos box (named
> > psychosis). I use Impulse Tracker 2.14p3 on the dos side of psychosis to make
> > my music, (IT is a free mod-type tracker, www.noisemusic.org/it/) save that,
>
> By chance, do you happen to have a URL that points to a tutorial on
> using trackers?  I got the Impulse Tracker (and also Future Crew's
> Scream Tracker, they're similar), and I'm kinda lost on how to use
> it.  Just wondering if you knew where I could find some pointers on
> using Trackers.

Sorry, I don't have that info. I think there was something of a tutorial that
came with ST3, but I'm not sure... Impulse has context-sensitive help available,
I'd start with that. But, if you get stuck of need some pointers, mail me off
the list and I'll help you as best I can. BTW: ST3 is outdated. Use IT. :)

> > to a .wav, and burn CDs with my HP CD-RW drive.
>
> Have you had pretty good luck with that particular CD-RW drive?  Is it
> SCSI, and have you got it working pretty good under Linux?  I'm in the
> market for a CD burner, and curious as to what brands are good ones,
> etc.  Also, when you burn a CD, do you pretty much have to keep your
> system idle for the burn to work, or can you do other stuff while
> you're burning?

Yeah, I've only had it spit out one coaster so far :) It's the HP 7110i+ drive,
which is the internal IDE model. I have it working fine under Linux, except for
some CD playing tools that don't like the SCSI emulation. When I burn a CD, I
can do all kinds of other things: compile a kernel, work in X, etc, etc. But-
my system also serves loop-mounted ISO cd images to windows clients with samba,
and for some reason that tends to suck down cpu when I'm burning. Turning on
IRQ unmasking for the non-cd drives in your system helps (man hdparm) but can
cause problems on some hardware.

If you're in the market for a burner, I'd go with a SCSI. Getting this IDE to
work properly was a right pain in the ass.

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :