Re: sound recording under linux

Hi. I do a lot of this kind of thing, so let me tell you what my setup is.

I have two boxes that I use to make my music with. One is an old 486-66 msdos-
debian dualbooter, and the other is a K6-166 linux box. They are both on
ethernet, and I have the MS SMB client for the dos side of the dos box (named
psychosis). I use Impulse Tracker 2.14p3 on the dos side of psychosis to make
my music, (IT is a free mod-type tracker, www.noisemusic.org/it/) save that,
reboot into linux, from which I pull the .it file off psychosis onto phaktory,
the K6 box. I then add any effects with CERES SoundStudio (a commecrial multi-
track wave editor for Linux. A demo version is available on sunsite.), save it
to a .wav, and burn CDs with my HP CD-RW drive.

I would look at SoundStudio for your multitrack recording needs. I think there
are also a few other linux multitrack recorders floating around. Check the
apps/sound/editors subdirectory on sunsite...

As far as the drum machine goes, I don't know of any decent software drum
machines for Linux, but if you get IT working under DOSEMU or something, that is
a pretty good solution. I think you can get the sound working under dosemu with
recent versions, but if not, you can create your drum loops silently and then
mess with them in SoundStudio.

For more information about my music (including some mp3 clips) point yourself
at http://minion.ml.org.

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 09:13:24PM -0500, the lone gunman wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Are there any folks out there using Linux to do sound recording?  If
> so, what approaches have you taken?
>
> I've got a cheap hack of a sound studio on my pc -- only under windows
> now, though, and I'd rather do this under linux.
>
> I do multi-track guitar recording in the following way: record a few
> licks with the microphone next to my amp.  I have the "output" jack on
> my soundcard split in two -- one cable going to my speakers, and one
> going right back in the "input" jack of my soundcard.  Then I can play
> the first "track" I recorded, and play another on my guitar while
> recording -- thus the two tracks are automatically mixed.
>
> Granted this is no professional studio, but it does the trick, and
> fairly well.  The requirements, though, are that I need a full duplex
> driver for my Sound Blaster AWE 32 pnp ISA sound card.  This driver is
> free for Windows.  I can purchase a full duplex driver for linux from
> a company (I forget their name).
>
> Anyway, before I spend on the full duplex driver, does anyone know of
> some good software that I can use -- I need a midi drum programmer,
> some decent recording software, and some mixing software (that can
> merge two sound files).  I've got most of this for free under Windows,
> so I'd like to keep it free for Linux.  (BTW, the midi drum machine is
> called "The Wizard" -- it's pretty sharp, I'd like something similar
> for linux).
>
> Thanks!
> Matt
>

> --

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :