Web access woes

Hi all !

Well, I thought I was really happy but I didn't tell my computer that the
ISP I use uses a proxy server ( did I have the option ? ) The result of
this is that I can't access the web from my Linux partition.

I have downloaded Netscape (4.05) and installed using the Netscape
installer but I get an error when I try to enter the proxy server details.

The Debian supplied browsers can't get past the ISP firewall either.

I assume there is a config. file (or more) somewhere that needs to be
edited or a setup programme to run ... can anyone help with this.

Also I have read a lot of discussion regarding smail - do I need to set up
smail if I am not running a network from my own computer?

Thanks again for your help.

Ivan.