Re: Help with Debian GNU/Linux (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 06:00:01 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Karl F. Larsen" <k5di@WHC.NET>
To: Chris Grant <mithrandir55@hotmail.com>
Cc: linux-newbie@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Help with Debian GNU/Linux

Hello Chris,
	The Debian loader leaves a lot to the user to set up. If your a
trained user then it is no problem. But for you it will be too hard to
fix. I suggest you load Red Hat version 5.1 and start there.

	The book you are buying is fine. There is a lot of on-line help
with Red Hat.

	The kernel is written in C++ and it is an on-going effort. You can
get the source code easy, but I suggest you learn to use C and then C++
before you start working on the kernel.

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Chris Grant wrote:

> I just downloaded Debian GNU/Linux 1.3 and am using bash as the shell.
> I am completely new to the Linux/Unix world, so forgive me if any of
> these questions seem foolish.  Whenever I try to use the manual for a
> command by  typing "man", bash tells me it can't find the command "man".
> Could someone please tell me what directory "man" is in so I can put it
> in my path?  Could this be a problem with Debian, and if it is what
> distribution of Linux is a good one to get?  Also, I'm thinking of
> buying "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman.  Is this a good
> book to get if I know almost nothing now and want to become a fairly
> advanced user? If not, what books would be good for those goals?  And
> are there any books that I really should get in addition to "Running
> Linux"?  Last question, I'm interested in learning to program Linux
> drivers, and maybe even debuging the kernal.  What language are these
> thing coded in, or what language would I have to learn if I want to do
> these things?  Thanks a lot.
>
> Chris

Best wishes

   - Karl F. Larsen, 3310 East Street, Las Cruces,NM (505) 524-3303  -