Irritating ^H and double characters in documentation

Hallo,

Several documentation files on the 1.3.1 distribution contains text
like this from the Afterstep FAQ:
11..  GGeenneerraalliinnffoorrmmaattiioonn

  11..11..  WWhhaatt iissAAfftteerrSStteepp??

  AfterStep is a Window Manager for X that emulates the NEXTSTEP look
  and feel, which many adepts will tell you is not only the most
  visually pleasant interface, but also one of the most functional and
  intuitive out there.

I was trying to read this file with emacs in X11.

Through the 'eyes' of Mosaic it looked like this:

  1 1. .  G Ge en ne er ra al li in nf fo or rm ma at ti io on n

Using lynx it looked like this:

  11..  GGeenneerraall iinnffoorrmmaattiioonn

  11..11..  WWhhaatt iiss AAfftteerrSStteepp??

Is there a quick way to correct this?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "And this is the confidence that we have in him, that,
      if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth
      us; And if we know that he hears us, whatsoever we
      ask, we know that we have the petitions that we
      desired of him."            I John 5:14,15