From: Nathan E Norman [SMTP:finn@midco.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 1998 7:17 PM
To: debian-user
Cc: debian-user
Subject: Re: lilo & lilo.conf

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, matthew tebbens wrote:

:
: Does anyone know why the "table=" config statement
: is required in the subsections of "other" operating systems
: for the lilo.conf file ? ...why does windows or msdos have
: to know where the partition information is ?
:
: Thanks,
: Matthew
:
: ------
:        table=device
:               This  specifies the device that contains the parti
:               tion table.  The boot loader will not  pass  parti
:               tion  information to the booted operating system if
:               this variable is omitted. (Some  operating  systems
:               have  other means to determine from which partition
:               they have been booted.  E.g., MS-DOS usually stores
:               the  geometry  of the boot disk or partition in its
:               boot sector.)  Note that /sbin/lilo must be  re-run
:               if a partition table mapped referenced with `table'
:               is modified.

I would say that's the reason right there :)

 --
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104