Re: .maildelivery, "to:" line, exmh, & spam

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> Richard E. Hawkins Esq. writes:
> >

> > reading through a newsgroup, someone pointed out what should have been
> > obvious:  bulk emailings almost never have a "to:" or "cc:" in the header, and
> > that mail could be filtered to a junk box in this manner.
> >
> > But looking through the exmh documentation about .maildelivery, this doesn't
> > seem to be an option:  I can sort by the contents of any field, but it doesn't
> > mention the *existence* of any field.
> >
> > Or would
> >
> >   To    *   | ?   "/usr/lib/mh/rcvstore +inbox"
> >
> > put an article into the inbox if there was something in the To line, and do
> > nothing if no such line existed?
> >

> Perhaps the way to sort the "junk" mail from the legit, wanted mail is to
>
> 1) match any mail which meets your critera and put that mail into your normal
> mailbox
> and 2) default all other mail to a junk account which you can have "cron"
> delete it periodically.

I use a simple procmail recipe what checks the To: and Cc: headers for MY
email address.. If it is not there, it goes to the spamtrap folder.

Mind you, I put this at the END of the filters, so that this user-list,
and a couple of other lists get caught by their respective filters.

For those interested... procmail recipe:
---

:0:
* ! ^(To:|Cc:).*mickyb@es.co.nz
spamtrap