Re: serving a win95 box

On 16 Jun, Robert Wilderspin wrote:
> On 16 Jun 98 11:20:14 GMT, gvl@141.com wrote:
>
>>Can a linux box be used to serve a Win95 box the same way two Win95
>>boxes can be hooked up together? Eg. -- can linux be set up in such a
>>way that an ethernet connected Win95 box can 'see' some of the linux
>>drives  in its "Network Neighborhood" box, map them with drive
>>letters, and run to programs in those directories as if they were on
>>the Win95 box itself?
>
> You can connect a Linux box up and view whichever directories you
> choose to allow access to, and map them to drives as you wish, using
> the Samba package.
>
> However, I'm not entirely sure if you can run programs directly from
> those drives (ie, without copying them to the Win95 box first).  Only
> one way to find out!

Yes, you can run programs from the shares.  However programs that use
the registry or .ini files and were installed on box A(server) under
Win95 but are now being served to box B(client) from linux on box A(
a dual boot) will probably have problems finding support files,etc. If
the programs are freshly installed to a drive on box A from box B then
it should not be a problem if you don't change the network drive
mappings in the future.

This has been my experience at least, as usual YMMV.

Brian