Re: serving a win95 box

On 16 Jun 98 11:20:14 GMT, gvl@141.com wrote:

>Can a linux box be used to serve a Win95 box the same way two Win95
>boxes can be hooked up together? Eg. -- can linux be set up in such a
>way that an ethernet connected Win95 box can 'see' some of the linux
>drives  in its "Network Neighborhood" box, map them with drive
>letters, and run to programs in those directories as if they were on
>the Win95 box itself?

You can connect a Linux box up and view whichever directories you
choose to allow access to, and map them to drives as you wish, using
the Samba package.

However, I'm not entirely sure if you can run programs directly from
those drives (ie, without copying them to the Win95 box first).  Only
one way to find out!

>  I'm setting up a second system for the family but have quite a bit
>of 'extra' HD space on my own box.  Would like to use some of my
>space to store programs for the second box.

Storage is fine, but like I said, you *might* not be able to actually
run them whilst on the Linux drives.  Anyone want to clarify this?

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."