RE: Mysterious frequent crashes at the same interval on three ma

On 16-Jun-98 Autumn wrote:
> I've tried throwing up my hands in frustration, but so far it hasn't
> helped.
>
> I have three Debian machines here, and they're rebooting quite
> frequently on almost exactly the same irregular schedule.  The time
> between reboots has ranged from 11 to 70 hours over the past couple of
> weeks.  There are occasional anomalies, but the time between reboots is
> usually identical to within a minute on the three machines.
>
> One machine (Hamm 2.0.33 as-installed) is outside our firewall.  The
> others (Bo, 2.0.27 as-installed, and Bo 2.0.30 customized), are inside,
> but do not have regular communication with each other or the one
> outside.  The only exception is that the 2.0.27 machine has its clock
> synchronized to the 2.0.30's with netdate.
>
> I can discern no patterns in the timing.  I have removed all of the
> packages that I reasonably can, to no avail.  There are no core dumps.
> Nothing useful is being logged at any time immediately preceeding the
> reboots.
>
> Can someone suggest some other things that I should look at?

Are the machines rebooting simultaneously (i.e. at the same absolute clock
times, allowing for system clocks differing), or at quite different absloute
times (but with matching inter-reboot intervals)?

If the former, consider your power supply.

If the latter, then the Society for the Investigation of Paranormal Phenomena
would like to hear from you.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>