Mysterious frequent crashes due to incompetence, lies, and hardware.

Eureka!

The problem is solved through the combined application of Drake's, Ted's and
Eric's solutions.

Eric: You were correct.  To my chagrin, there was in fact an NT administrator
loose in the building, gnawing at the wires, and telling me lies.  He told me,
for example, that the three machines in question were _not_ on the same UPS, and
that other non-linux machines _were_ on the same UPS as some of the rebooting
machines.  As I should have suspected immediately, he was lying to cover some
more heinous scheme.  His evil plan has been exposed, and the people are all
following the most excellent path once again.

Ted and Drake: You are correct.  The "reboot time" shown in the logs reflects the
CMOS clock, as xntpd has not yet taken over.  The machines were in fact all
rebooting at roughly the same time (believe it or not, one machine really does
take 3-5 minutes longer to reboot than do the others).  Having realized that, I
decided it was time to get my knees dirty and crawl around in the server room.
Whaddya know?  They were all on the same [faulty] UPS.  I'm such an idiot.

Many thanks to y'all for your help and patience.

Autumn

P.S.
The intern has accused me of pessimism.  He feels that I should call it an IPS,
rather than a faulty UPS.