Re: Install/Uninstall dramas (novice user)

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 08:39:41PM -0500, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> > Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > I have been running Linux for some two years and Debian for more than one,
> > > and certainly haven't required MC yet. Even standard would be inappropriate
> > > I think -- standard is for things which are standard on a Unix system,
> > > and should probably be as strict as possible to keep the size down.
> > > Optional remains appropriate.
> >
> >       I don't want to turn this into a favorite-file-manager-flame-thread, but
> > I'd like to point out that Debian has agreed to go with the GNOME project as
> > a 'standard' desktop GUI (instead of KDE), and guess what, MC is the
> > 'standard' file-manager of the GNOME desktop.  Second, there are things that
> > are 'standard' in Debian that aren't 'standard' everywhere else (like the
> > slang lib).  My statement was simply meant as a strong endorsement of MC,
> > nothing more.  It wasn't meant to start an argument over what
> > 'standard'/'required'/'recommended' should mean.
>
> But `standard' has two different meanings here. X is our standard windowing
> system, but the X packages are priority: optional. Priority: standard implies
> that it is a standard Unix feature. slang is standard because other packages
> which are standard dependent on it -- like the base system in hamm. A package
> can only depend on packages with higher priority than itself.
>
> Just because a particular tool is Debian's standard does not mean that
> it is priority `standard', or even that it is standard. It's not necessarily
> standard to have an interactive file manager installed, for example.
>
> Hamish
> --

	Now you are getting far more technical than I ever meant.  When I said "it
ought to be required software; its that good", I wasn't thinking in terms of
Debian rules/priorities/procedures, I was speaking in a very generic sense.
You jumped on it as some kind of technical Debian error of word usage.  I
don't think there's really anything here to debate.  People who like
interactive file managers are probably already using MC, and people who
don't like interactive non-command-line utilities have already tried MC and
stopped using it.

--
Ed