Re: Install/Uninstall dramas (novice user)

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 11:55:37AM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
> > > files/dirs in the other panel.  MC should be required software, its that
> > > good.
> >
> > DEFINITELY!
>
> I have been running Linux for some two years and Debian for more than one,
> and certainly haven't required MC yet. Even standard would be inappropriate
> I think -- standard is for things which are standard on a Unix system,
> and should probably be as strict as possible to keep the size down.
> Optional remains appropriate.
>
> Hamish

	I don't want to turn this into a favorite-file-manager-flame-thread, but
I'd like to point out that Debian has agreed to go with the GNOME project as
a 'standard' desktop GUI (instead of KDE), and guess what, MC is the
'standard' file-manager of the GNOME desktop.  Second, there are things that
are 'standard' in Debian that aren't 'standard' everywhere else (like the
slang lib).  My statement was simply meant as a strong endorsement of MC,
nothing more.  It wasn't meant to start an argument over what
'standard'/'required'/'recommended' should mean.

--
Ed