Re: route anon ftp requests how?

On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 11:04:04AM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> > You could run a port redirector on the FTP control port (21) on the dialup
> > machine, which redirects connections to your FTP server.
>
> Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the term "port redirector." Is this a method
> or a particular type of software package? Any examples you could point me
> towards? (I know, time to do more reading!)

There are some tools like "redir" and "socket" that do this in the
net section. I have had good results with redir.

> > This may or may not work, though; FTP data connections occur on dynamically
> > allocated port numbers, and the server connects back to the client. I think
> > it should work in theory. Passive connections won't (client connects to
> > server on dynamically allocated port).
>
> I think I'm interested in the latter, 'passive', function wherein clients
> could use my dyn.ml.org URL to find the ftp server. I notice in /etc/services
> a port for ftp (21) and a port for ftp-data (20). Are you saying that during
> an actual file transfer (would that be an 'ftp-data' service?) the server must
> first negotiate with the client another port number on which to do the
> transfer?

I'm not too sure of the details. `passive' has a different meaning here
though -- it's just a way of doing the FTP connection (client->server
connect for data, instead of server->client). passive is not the default
and not available on all clients. How it gets to your server in the
first place is unrelated.

You might be able to just redirect ftp and ftp-data, I'm not sure.

Hamish