Re: route anon ftp requests how?

On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 10:13:40PM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> Needed: best method for directing inbound requests for anon ftp requests to a
> server located on a box other than the one that dials up my ISP.
>
> I have two Linux machines ethernetted, and running IP masquerading with
> ipfwadm. One of the boxs is equipped with a modem to dial my ISP (for dynamic
> IP assignment). The anon ftp server has been installed on the other box.
>
> This is where my reach exceeds my grasp: I can't for a minute believe that I
> can have, in the dialled-up box's /etc/services file, a reference for ftp that
> points to the second machine. My first reading of several HOWTOs suggests to
> me that if I reconfigure ipfwadm, not for IP masquerading, but in some other
> mode, eg as a "firewall", that the routing I describe can be implemented. Is
> this a possiblity?

If you have an IP from your ISP for the second machine, then you can do it,
and you don't need masquerading at all. If not, then it's trouble.

You could run a port redirector on the FTP control port (21) on the dialup
machine, which redirects connections to your FTP server. This may or may
not work, though; FTP data connections occur on dynamically allocated
port numbers, and the server connects back to the client. I think it
should work in theory. Passive connections won't (client connects to server
on dynamically allocated port).

Hamish