Re[2]: route anon ftp requests how?

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:

> If you have an IP from your ISP for the second machine, then you can do it,
> and you don't need masquerading at all. If not, then it's trouble.

I don't have one for it; I just get one dynamically assigned number for the
dialup box. The ftp server box is 192.168.1.3 on the local net, and dialup box
is 192.168.1.1.

> You could run a port redirector on the FTP control port (21) on the dialup
> machine, which redirects connections to your FTP server.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the term "port redirector." Is this a method
or a particular type of software package? Any examples you could point me
towards? (I know, time to do more reading!)

> This may or may not work, though; FTP data connections occur on dynamically
> allocated port numbers, and the server connects back to the client. I think
> it should work in theory. Passive connections won't (client connects to
> server on dynamically allocated port).

I think I'm interested in the latter, 'passive', function wherein clients
could use my dyn.ml.org URL to find the ftp server. I notice in /etc/services
a port for ftp (21) and a port for ftp-data (20). Are you saying that during
an actual file transfer (would that be an 'ftp-data' service?) the server must
first negotiate with the client another port number on which to do the
transfer?

Bob Bernstein      bernie@brainiac.com       http://www.brainiac.com/bernie
at
Esmond, R.I.       ftp://rupturedduck.dyn.ml.org  (sometimes)