Re: Help, I've messed up my system

Adrian Monk wrote:

> Err, this is embarassing.....
>
> I had a perfectly working 2.0 system, but because I have now opened a
> second ISP account with Demon I decided to have a look for scripts on
> the Demon ftp site. I duly found a package for Slackware, and decided
> to unzip and untar it to see what scripts it contained which might
> helpas a guide to setting up my second ppp/pap connection via Demon.
> By mistake (cringe...) I managed to copy the files to my (Debian 2.0)
> system and the copies overwrote my Debian files. I have managed to
> sort out a lot of the resulting Debian-Slackware hybrid mess, but a
> couple of things I can't find out how to rectify:
>
> 1) I can log in as root o.k. (using 2.0.33 boot disk) but some
> commands only work if I do additionally su, and some don't work at
> all. If I try to do man pppd, for example, I get "libdb2.so.2 :
> permission denied". If I do updatedb then locate works fine, but after
> the next reboot the db has vanished again.
>
> 2) If I try to log in as user account atheris I get a column of
> 1000.1000 instead of atheris.atheris (although if I do ls -la
> /home/atheris from root, then atheris.atheris appears). Also, bash
> does not read the local .bashrc/..bash_profile but instead tells me
> "/etc/profile : permission denied". In the case of my wife's account I
> get the same and 1001.1001 instead of katya.katya. In neither case can
> I run any commands. /etc/profile is there, wr - r -r , but bash will
> not read it.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this self-inflicted grief? Obviously somewhere
> Slackware has altered permissions or some other things, but after two
> days of scouring the system I still can't find where.
>
> TIA
>
> Adrian Monk

The install of the Slackware package has overwritten the file permissions of
apparently several files and directories.  Use the Slackware tarball as a
guide, i.e. every file and dir it touches should be inspected by you.
Reinstalling deb packages might help with some problems (try reinstalling
libdb2), but with other problems you have to figure out permission problems
manually.  With '/etc/profile', check both permissions and file owner plus
the
owner and permissions of higher up directories ('/etc').  The permissions of
/etc/profile might be ok; the permissions /etc dir might be the problem.
Good Luck.  I've gotten so paranoid about this, I inspect tarballs to see
what they put where before I unpack them.  In some cases, I'll unpack to a
tmp dir, and install files in the right place manually.

--
Ed