Re: cd writers & linux

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 12:16:07PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 1998 at 08:43:44PM -0400, Paul Miller wrote:
> > > BTW they seem very suceptible to IO bandwidth.. a few things:
> > > 1) never burn files that are not stored on a local drive
> > > 2) put the writer on its own IDE controller, it should not share
> > > a controller with another drive that is being used
> > > 3) SCSI is better than IDE :)
> >
> > If the drive has a 1MB or 2MB buffer and is only writing at 2X or 4X, why
> > does it matter how fast the interface is?  Most drives are 2X, which is
> > something like 300KB/s.. My motherboard supports up to 20MB/s on both of
> > its IDE channels.  So even if the drive is on a shared channel, it'll
> > still be able to continously write at 300KB/s, right?

[snip]
> Ethernet is 10mbit/s, ie 1mbyte/sec, which is >> 600kb/s for a 4X write,
> you say? A CDR benchmarking program says that the transfer rate off
> the Windows machine was under 600kb/sec on average.

Thats exactly my point earlier...yes... In theory the bandwidth on ethernet
is large enough to burn a CD, keeping the buffer full...in practice
it is not. You can't forget, yes there is 10 Mb/s but...
Think of how actual file acess works... you have to send a request out for more
data (read request) then the other machine has to stop what it is doing
(even when "idle" it is burining up cycles on some other tasks), respond
to you, read what you requested, or get it from some cache, then send it
back.

This is all while the network is serviceing other requests (hey Windows
Networking anyone? unless you use WINS, a network can be bogged down during
those "browser elections" every 11 mins...and takes more than 11 mins to burn
a CD).

The point is that "In theory" yes you can do it...but in practice I have
seen it tried and never seen it work.

The same goes for SCSI and using separate IDE contollers etc...yes in
theory it doesn't cause a problem..in practice it is better safe tahn sorry
(it sure is disapointing to wait an hour or so for a CD only to find out
the burn screwed up)
-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"Maturity is often more absurd than youth and very frequently is most