Re: cd writers & linux

On Mon, Jun 08, 1998 at 08:43:44PM -0400, Paul Miller wrote:
> > BTW they seem very suceptible to IO bandwidth.. a few things:
> > 1) never burn files that are not stored on a local drive
> > 2) put the writer on its own IDE controller, it should not share
> > a controller with another drive that is being used
> > 3) SCSI is better than IDE :)
>
> If the drive has a 1MB or 2MB buffer and is only writing at 2X or 4X, why
> does it matter how fast the interface is?  Most drives are 2X, which is
> something like 300KB/s.. My motherboard supports up to 20MB/s on both of
> its IDE channels.  So even if the drive is on a shared channel, it'll
> still be able to continously write at 300KB/s, right?

Sure, but continuous, for the whole 37 odd minutes to write a full CD?

Yesterday I burnt a full CD for someone, with the files located on
their PC, over Windows networking (I was running NT, they were running 95).
I recorded it on the fly, without making an image first; the test phase
(the first half, until we cancelled it anyway) kept the buffer 100% full.
But on the actual CD, the last 100mb of files are all unreadable.

Ethernet is 10mbit/s, ie 1mbyte/sec, which is >> 600kb/s for a 4X write,
you say? A CDR benchmarking program says that the transfer rate off
the Windows machine was under 600kb/sec on average.

Hamish