Re: cd writers & linux

On Mon, Jun 08, 1998 at 10:38:06AM -0400, Paul Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Robert Wilderspin wrote:
>
> > On 8 Jun 98 02:56:07 GMT, paul@3dillusion.com wrote:
> >
> > For writing audio CDs I would recommend a WORM.  That sort of data
> > doesn't really need the advantage of being able to remove and add new
> > files.  Plan the compilation, write it, enjoy - at less than 1UKP per
> > disc.
>
> Is there a difference between the two types of disc -- do worm driver
> permanetly alter the disc (ie, burning holes, etc.) and do rewritable
> store very magnetically (like diskettes)?

As far as I understand this... WORM looks like it stands for "Write Once
Recordable Media." or some vairation. These are the standard "CDR" or CD
Burner" drives...

They make permanant pits iinto the disk and can not be erased (well ok...
they can be erased...just dip them in some acetone... but they can not
be erased AND re-used)

The re-writeable are differnt...they burn (make pits) just like the WORM
but they are more complex...the drive has a special mode where it heats them
much much more and erases teh pits, so that they can be burned
again.

I was reading about these re-writables the other day..they are much more
expensive for both the drive and the disks, also AFAIK the disks can
(generally) NOT be used in normal CD drives (they are less reflective and thus
require a more powerful laser, other than that there is little differnce)

personally I think CDRs (WORM I guess is another name..if my gues isn';toff)
work great. I usually CD CDR disks (blank obviouslyt ;)  between $2-$3
(I can actually get em for $1.40/ea) Thats cheap enough for me, and they
work great.

BTW they seem very suceptible to IO bandwidth.. a few things:
1) never burn files that are not stored on a local drive
2) put the writer on its own IDE controller, it should not share
a controller with another drive that is being used
3) SCSI is better than IDE :)

as for what drive to get....im not sure whats supported right now...there is a
HOWTO somewhere....

-Steve