Re: Checking Ports? (fwd)

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Marcus Johnson wrote:

> [...]

I run a very simple joystick server that writes its position to a port, say,
50005, so that (a) multiple clients can connect to the stick (b) I can run
a fake server on machines without a stick and continue to test programs that
need to read a stick.

When I kill the server, I find I often can't restart it on that port, but
can on, say, 50006. I'm guessing that some resource stays around until it's
killed off, usually after less than a minute.

I intend making my server pick the next free port, and likewise the clients
will have to play chase the server. Meanwhile I don't worry.

Cheers,