Re: oops, the message

greg bonser wrote,

> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> > oops, here's the message.  And it's always the same LBA & Sector

> Back the hard drive up NOW. Are you running 2.0.33?  I got errors just
> like this with 2.0.33 and UltraDMA disks.  Reverting to 2.0.32 fixed it
> for me.

Give that man a cigar.  I responded to him that no, i had .32.  It turned out that i did indeed have .32.

After a few hours, I gave up and did a clean install of frozen on another partition.  Some is a little cleaner, but there's some new glitches:
a) subdomain names aren't allowed.  eyry.econ.iastate.edu cannot be of domain iastate.edu; i had to know where to edit this myself
b) no keyboard shortcuts durning install steps anymore
c) a redhat-style "what type of system" popped up.  I didn't know how to mark these; everything i tried didn't work, but I didn't think of space until after i tried "enter" at one i wanted.

Anyway, i managed to install in a blank partition, have managed to make a 2.0.32 kernel, and am running again.  I have e2fsck looking for bad blocks on the old partition.  But what if it doesn't find any?  Do I just blast it and reformat?

another couple of miscellenay:
d) if kernel-headers is installed after kernel-source, it seems to change the linux symlink to itself.  libc6dev seems to demand kernelheaders even if source is already installed.  this also causes "include/asm" is a directory problems
e) make zlilo still seems to use the partition rather than the device for "boot".  THat is, it creates boot=/dev/hda10 rather than boot=/dev/hda

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.