isapnptools confusion.

Hello my debian friends,  I just got a pentium II with an awe64 sound
card, and I want to have sound capability.  I know I have to recompile
the kernel for this to work.  I also know that I have to use
isapnptools.  I am running slink (2.0) kernel version 2.0.33 (from the
base disks)  I have not recompiled the kernel yet for sound support.  I
read the awe-sound-howto and other relavent documentaion.  I followed it
upto a certain point.  What I have done so far is:
# phpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf (as root)  it gave me this isaphp.conf file,
but I am stumped on what to do next.  Do I have to get source awe sound
drivers?  I thought I could use the awe.deb packages once I got the card
to be recognized.  Can any one shed some light on my lack of knowledge of
isapnptools and how to use them to recognize pnp cards.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

P.S. mail me at paul@braille.uwo.ca