Re: Virtual terminals

On: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:21:37 +0100 (BST) M C Vernon writes:

> Dear all,
> 	How can I address more than 6 vts? I have X installed, and it
> usually runs on altf7, but when it's running, I get
> Warning: dev (03:03) tty->count(1) != #fd's(2) in do_tty_hangup
> Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035

X will always use the next free virtual terminal.  Just edit your
/etc/inittab file and search for the block:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

Now just add lines like:
7:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty7
8:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty8
9:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty9
10:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty10
11:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty11

to create 5 additional virtual terminals.  Make sure that at least one
is free for starting X.

I have seen the error you mentioned above but don't know the reason
for it.

	Torsten

--
Whenever a system becomes completely defined, some damn fool discovers
something which either abolishes the system or expands it beyond recognition.