Re: File-system on tape

Daniel S Barclay schrieb am Tue, 02 Jun 1998 21:17:11 -0400:

> It's an (probably) unnecessary limitation somewhere in the system.
>
> I was able to make a file system on a floppy tape (with mke2fs, I
> believe).  When I tried to mount the file system, mount complained
> that the tape wasn't a block device.
>
> Given the mke2fs ran without complaining, it didn't see any problem
> with treating the floppy tape as a block device.  I would guess that
> mke2fs or whatever library or system calls it uses incorrectly
> assume that a tape is not a block device.

As you wrote above mke2fs is not the problem.  Hoever, tape devices
are character devices and they don't know a seek command.  This is
essential for normal filessystem.

BTW: I read about a tape filesystem in de.comp.os.linux.misc,
unfortunately, I'm unable to find this article and the url right now.
If I find it I will post a followup to this thread.

	Torsten