library upgrade, required, but conflicts?

I an trying to install a new package (NTFS) which requires libc6; so I got
the libc6 package, and tried to install it. Dselect reports that:

  NTFS depends on libc6, libc6 conflicts with lib5, libc5 is required by
   many-many other things, so it wants to uninstall a huge list of things.

I have seen bunched of discussions on the list about library upgrades, but
ignored them, as I was trying to make my life simple by sticking with the
stable (1.0.31 CD) distribution. I did upgrade to the .30 kernel from the
CDROM.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Gregory Guthrie