mounting remote file systems...

I recently installed Debian 1.3 and have a few questions.  I boot to DOS
and use loadlin to boot Linux.  Linux begins its startup and continues
fine (although I do see some notes about no PCI Bios not being
present..how do I skip that check?).  Linux mounts my local file systems
fine, then I get the 'mounting remote file systems...' and it just
hangs, until I tried ctrl-c, which continues the bootup.  What is
causing this?  When going through the modules phase of installation, I
am not choosing anything extra?  The only options I selected in that
section were for serial and parallel ports.

On another note, I would like to get sound working.  I have a generic SB
compatible.  Can support for this be added during initial installation?
If not, what is the easiest way?

And finally, on a 'perfect' installation, would the bootup process
display no errors at all?  I mean, can whatever is causing the above PCI
Bios messages to appear be removed without any harm?

Larry Walewski

p.s.  I'm looking to get a good Linux book and was wondering if anyone
has seen/used the Walnut Creek 'Linux The Complete Reference' that is
some 1600+ pages?